I am working on encoding as much of my knowledge about teaching music as possible in an organized fashion on this site. The videos are organized in projects/categories/blocks. Feel free to explore! Also, a few notes about how I teach.
Practicing Musically – I’m a huge fan of exercises, but I don’t usually do them much unless I can turn them into a musical exploration. I try to relate exercises to performable music as quickly as possible.
Collaborative Learning – Learning with others is more fun and more insightful, and teachers do better when they let their students generate their own insights and share with the community. If you have comments or ideas, comment on the lesson page or email me!
Project Based – I think people learn better when they are working in a system that is organized, with clear goals that they can attain in the lifespace they are in. I organize my teaching in holistic projects and I encourage people to learn in project-based systems that relate to a curriculum-based scope-and-sequence model.
A friend suggested I call this project ‘Moses.’ If anybody else comes up with a better name, let me know!
- The Songwriter’s Grooves Project – A Guide to Singing and Playing Guitar
- Lead Guitar/Chords/Scales – The Infinite Grid – A Guide to Melody and Harmony
- Rhythm Lessons – Impulse Geometry
- Lyric writing and Freestyle Rapping – Street Religion
- Recording/Mixing/Engineering Lessons – The Man/Machine Project
- Practicing Musically – Elevator Etudes
- Fingerstyle Guitar Improvisation – The Shape of the Ocean
- Vocal Technique Lessons
- Musical Styles and Genre Bending Techniques – Invasive Species
- Practicing and Creative Lifestyle – The Ceramic Tile